Crust free broccoli quiche
- 250g sliced tomato (beef tomatoes work well)
- 100g purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 shallots, minced
- 200ml double cream
- 200ml milk
- 4 eggs
- Salt & pepper
- Lightly oil a deep baking tray (a muffin tray is ideal) and heat the oven to 180ºc.
- Steam or boil the broccoli until tender, drain and set aside.
- In a frying pan, fry the shallots in a little oil until soft.
- In a bowl beat together the cream, milk and eggs and season.
- Arrange the sliced tomato in the bottom of the muffin tray and spread the shallots over the top of them.
- Pour over the egg mixture and scatter the broccoli evenly.
- Grate over as much parmesan as you like.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the egg mixture has set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing.
- 200g spinach
- 200 ml double cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Sea salt & fresh black pepper
- Over a pan of boiling water wilt the spinach for a couple of moments. Drain and set aside. When the spinach is cool enough to handle squeeze all the water from it and finely chop. Return the chopped spinach to the pan.
- Beat the eggs and cream together and add to the spinach.
- Heat gently for a few moments to allow the eggs to cook and then season to your liking.
Creamed spinach is delicious as a side dish served with chicken or white fish but is equally as delicious stuffed inside a pepper and baked until golden and bubbling or, as I did, used on the top of a vegetarian lasagne instead of bechamel sauce.